Meeting on the last Monday of every month in the lounge at 7:15pm. The society was formed in the year 2000 by a small group of people with an interest in the history of their town. The group now has over 50 members and are active in the preservation of local history. Participants support open heritage events in September doing tours of our historic venue here at Ryecroft Hall. The group have their own facebook page and website too. Participants all have a keen interest in local history and often have speakers sharing their knowledge and experiences.
The group are also members of Tameside Local Hsitory Forum which was established in January 2000 to increase public awareness and use of all the elements of local history throughout the Borough.
Upcoming Events 2017:
- 22nd May – Mary Whitehead: The trials of Mother Clare
- 26th June – AGM followed by Graham Halliwell: History of Copperas Field
- 29th July – Annual Outing – Carnforth Station, Lancaster
- August – No Meetings
- 25th September – Rita Vaughan: Mossley Military Hospital
- 30th October – TBC
- 27th November – Hot Pot Supper & Quiz
- December – No Meetings
There is a £2 entrance fee for non-members but membership can be arranged by contacting Julie Fisher on 0161 371 0770 or email@example.com